Friday, April 13, 2012

Vintage Banana Belt Buckle (signed '77)

Front of Banana Belt Buckle by Alex Streeter
1977年のバナナバックル

Back of Banana Belt Buckle by Alex Streeter

Banana Belt Buckle by Alex Streeter 1977


Nearly a decade before Alex Streeter was approached to design the first Angel Heart Ring for the film, he signed and sold this Warhol-inspired banana belt buckle. Measuring about 6.75 inches (17cm) in length, the peel of this early creation is made of brass and the inner part silver. It's such an early work that it doesn't even have Alex's trademark stamp- the dot within the circle.

As tempting as it is to photograph the buckle as it must have looked when sold to the original owner (not me), I just can't bring myself to polish off a patina that took over 30 years to develop. It is by far the oldest piece in my collection and I have to say, it's still as fresh as ever.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment